Many people around the world experience bruxism, which is also known as teeth grinding or clenching. Grinding your teeth constantly can damage the enamel, wear down the teeth, cause jaw pain, as well as irritate your gums. While occasional bruxism isn’t much cause for concern, regular teeth grinding may cause the following:
- Poor Quality of Sleep
- Broken Teeth
- Loss of Tooth Enamel
- Tooth Loss
If you believe you are grinding your teeth at night, consult with Dr. Ejtemai’s Falls Church dentistry.
Do You Need A Custom Night Guard?
If you’re grinding your teeth on a consistent basis or if your loved ones have mentioned they hear you grinding your teeth at night, then it’s highly recommended that you obtain a custom night guard, which is very similar to a mouth guard worn by athletes. Your dentist will take an impression of your teeth and have the night guard created by a dental lab. Once you receive your personalized night guard, it will protect your top and bottom teeth from coming into contact with one another while you sleep.
“How do I stop grinding my teeth?”
- Exercise more to alleviate stress.
- Refrain from chewing gum or on other objects like pens.
- Avoid or reduce alcoholic and caffeinated drink consumption, as this increases the likelihood of bruxism.
- Take a warm bath before bed or apply a warm cloth to your jaw to help your muscles relax.
- If you have severe anxiety, talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist, as they may be able to help you manage your stress and reduce bruxism.
Get A Quality Custom Night Guard in Falls Church, VA from Dr. Ejtemai Today!
If you find yourself experiencing jaw pain or consistent teeth clenching, speak to our dental team at our Falls Church dental office today. Contact Us here.