A crown is a cover or “cap” your dentist puts over a tooth to make the tooth stronger and improve its appearance. The crown restores the tooth to its normal shape, size, and function. Crowns are made from several types of materials to fit the natural look of your teeth. Crowns can be made from porcelain, porcelain fused to metal, or a full gold crown. Porcelain will provide your teeth with a natural appearance.
Over time our teeth begin to weaken and become more susceptible to problems such as decay, cracks, discoloration, and others. If you feel your smile isn’t what it once was, crowns can help you recover your smile. If your dentist notices the tooth is decayed or weakened/cracked a crown may be necessary.
Reasons You May Need A Crown Procedure
- You have a large filling and breakage needs to be prevented.
- A tooth is cracked, worn down, or weakened.
- You had a root canal.
- Wish to improve your smile by covering a discolored or badly shaped tooth.
Crown Procedure Expectations
- First, you will be placed under local anesthesia.
- Then your tooth will be reshaped, by filing down the enamel, so the crown can be placed over your tooth.
- Then a mold will be taken of your tooth and the surrounding teeth.
- You will receive a temporary crown while you wait for the permanent crown to be made by a trusted lab. This usually takes about 2 weeks.
- When your new crown is ready, it will be placed on top of your existing tooth and cemented permanently into place.
Crowns: Convenient & Affordable Crown Procedures in Falls Church, VA
At Dr. Ejtemai’s Dentistry in Falls Church, VA, our experienced dentist prioritize your each and every need. With affordable and personalized dental care, you can trust us during you next visit. In need of a crown? Contact us today at (703) 237-6767 to get started!